Quinoa Vegetarian Chilli
This Vegetarian Chilli is a favourite of mine. The quinoa adds a meaty texture and if your a meat eater you won’t miss it..also Quinoa has about 8g protein per 1 cup serving. This dish is great for a fast meal on a busy evening after a full day on the go. The maple syrup and square of dark chocolate might seem like unusual additions at the end but they really round out the flavours and it’s a tip I picked up from my days living in the states… any excuse to add a square of dark choc! This dish is even better for lunch the next day. Enjoy!
Servings(about 5 X400g)
1 medium size Onions, chopped
1 Red or Green Pepper, chopped
500ml Vegetable stock, homemade or any stock based on own preference
400g Chopped Tomatoes, canned, all contents
240g Black beans, canned, drained
240g Red kidney, canned, drained
240g Chickpeas, canned, drained
1 Red or Green Pepper
100g Quinoa, red and white, Rinsed (follow instructions on the pack)
1 tsp green Chilli (depending on heat preference)
20g Peppadew in a jar, drained and sliced
1 tsp Cumin seeds, whole or ground
1 tsp Chilli powder
1-2 Square Dark Chocolate, 70-84% Cocoa solids
2 tsp Maple Syrup
1. In a large pot add the onions to the olive oil
2.Cook on Medium Heat for 3-5 mins or until translucent
3. Add bell peppers and cook for 2 mins.
4. Add quinoa (Make sure to rinse and drain), tomatoes, beans(rinse and drain), green chillies (depending on heat), Stock, cumin, chilli powder.
5. Bring the pot to boil and then cover and lower to a simmer for 30 mins.
6. Remove lid and give it a good stir and cook for an additional 10 mins or until chilli has thickened up and quinoa has absorbed liquid.
7.Add in dark chocolate and maple syrup and stir until melted and combined.
8.Serve warm with avocado, cheese, sour cream or toppings of choice.
NUTRITION (PER 400g SERVING)
ENERGY 240 kCal